Maths Strand Creation Project

Hey there, to you visiting my blog.

On Thursday, which was yesterday, my school was creating a model only with toothpicks and Plasticine / Modelling clay. The ground material was cardboard. This task was a maths project, making a model of a tent. What we had to do was stick toothpicks with Plasticine to make a tent and also make sure it's stable. There were some challenges, especially when it came to cubes. But the fun factor was when pyramids made it stable. When I was doing that task I learnt a lot because one thing I learned is that it is difficult to put toothpicks inside Plasticine with a rather small volume, while on the other hand Plasticine big in size would shake the toothpicks which have a smaller density than the Plasticine. The shapes that I made were cubes and pyramids with bases square and triangular shaped. Plasticine was my problem because I fastened the toothpicks with Plasticine randomly big and small. It worked better when I used even amounts of Plasticine. Here are some photos to check out.








Reflection : Overall it feels like an outside experiment because it fits both indoors and outdoors. It's more like a challenge because clay / Plasticine / Modelling Clay is not a perfect fit to fixing toothpicks together. It's a bit like engineering, expect there are no blueprints. Unless it's in your head, sometimes making stuff is not as good as what you're thinking of.

Please feel free to comment and try to stay tuned for more if you want.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the new classroom Karl. I really enjoyed your recount of the opening ceremony and I'm glad you are enjoying the new environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Kia ora Mrs Peterson. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Te Waka Ako is much better in the old classroom. Until in 2 weeks of holidays, it might go better.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

...

Persuasive writing

The first week of Technology